I came back from vacation with a lot of excitement about my blog and posting schedule. Then work and life hit me hard upside the head, and things have fallen apart in my world a bit. I was bumming at the beginning of last week about where I am in my life so I decided to look back at the origin of this blog. At the beginning of the year, I made some promises to myself to try to improve my life. To stay in touch with those goals, I am going to continue to check in in a post once a month. When I get down on my life, it helps to focus on what I can change and what I want to improve.
Original goals are in bold.
1) Cook one new recipe a week and try to make them healthy (I’ve always wanted to know how to cook) – I have not been doing well on this front. My kitchen is incrediably hot in the summer so I have no real desire to cook.
2) LOVE MYSELF (easier said than done) – I’ve been doing better in this arena (this past week notwithstanding.)
3) Actually go to the gym (I’m going to aim for 2-3 times a week.) Running helps the anxiety. – Still not exercising, and this needs to change. I have been told lately that I’m looking more fit.
4) Take yoga classes. I’ll aim for 1 per week (again, anxiety) – this will be difficult because I don’t like to do group things by myself – Still not doing this
5) Go to a real concert (I’ve never been) – The large ones require money, which I do not have. I have been to see some live music, which has been awesome. I love the energy of seeing live music, and luckily, I live in NYC so there are opportunities for free concerts.
6) Learn to knit (I’ve always wanted to) — I still need to do this.
7) Buy some fancy (and matching) underwear – I’ve been avoiding this since I’ve had no luck dating. I can’t let that fact stop me, though.
8) Date – I have not been on a real date in over a year. Dating terrifies me. Most of the time, I’m happy with my own space and being alone, but at the same time, I’m know that I avoid the whole dating scene because I don’t like it. This needs to change. I need to get out there again. – I have been on a few dates (most chronicled here.) I’m still disillusioned with the dating scene in New York, but I am making an effort…sort of.
9) Do some fun-colored chunky highlights in my hair (even temporary) – this could be difficult because I started a new job recently – Still haven’t done this.
10) Take one risk a month (keep track!) – I haven’t been keeping track, but I have been taking more risks.
11) Read (try for one book a week) – I’ll use Good Reads to keep track (maybe try for some classics…maybe not) – I’m on track with Goodreads!
11) Draw. It relaxes and centers me so I should put some time into it. – I still need to do some more of this.
12) Actually work on my social anxiety exercises. Part of this is exercising and yoga, but I also need to do the reaffirmations and mediation. – Not so much, no.
13) Do some photoshop work. I always enjoy it when I do it, so I should make some banners and harrass fanfic authors with them… – Got a new computer (a mac) which is not compatible with my version of Photoshop. This poses a problem.
14) Practice my french. I used to be able to speak it and even studied abroad, so I should get back to that point – I need to find a meet up group where I can practice.
I am adding two new pledges:
15) Post to this blog at least twice a week
16) Get out and see more art
I obviously have some work to do, and the original purpose of this blog was to hold me accountable. It’s time to focus on some of these goals and getting tangible results.