Happy Sunday (or Monday, depending on your time zone.) I had an awesome day with my Mom and am so grateful because sometimes a girl just needs her mom. I need to head to bed soon to be ready for my exhausting week of teaching, but I wanted to take a moment to mention an article on Jezebel’s website today titled 10 Very Good Reasons You Aren’t Married Yet. The entire time I was reading it, I felt like shouting, “YES!” (especially since there have been so many books and articles written lately that blame women for not getting married.) Here’s the short list of their points – my comments in italics:
1. You are focused on your career. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t understand women who aren’t, at least to some extent, focused on their career.
2. You have standards. Again, who doesn’t? Actually, I know people who don’t, and they routinely tell me that my standards are too high.
3. You can’t afford it. Weddings are expensive, and I have no desire to pick out flower arrangements, color sets, or custom china.
4. You are waiting until all people can get married. Amen.
5. You don’t need or want a symbolic public ceremony to celebrate something you already have. Can’t really comment since I don’t have it, but I do get where they’re coming from.
6. You’ve got a life and friends that you are happy with. This is something that I always need to remind myself of because it’s so damn true.
7. Monogamy just doesn’t work for you. It works for me, but I know people who don’t enjoy it.
8. You are sexually liberated. Damn right I am! (while monogamous)
9. You have “issues.” Yes, I do, as does everyone else I know. Baggage makes dating fun…
10. You legitimately just don’t want to get married. I feel this way 50-75% of the time.
Take a moment, read the whole thing, and enjoy.